Home » Squadrons » 428 Ghost Squadron

428 Ghost Squadron

 RCAF 428 Ghost Squadron

428 AW(F) Ghost Squadron flying suit patch

 

428 AW(F) Ghost Squadron decal ca, 1957

428 AW(F) Ghost Squadron decal ca, 1957

 

 

428 All Weather Fighter Squadron

On June 21, 1954 the squadron was reformed at RCAF Station Uplands as 428 All Weather Fighter Squadron. The squadron was a night fighter squadron and flew Avro CF-100 Canuck.

 

It was supposed to have upgraded and re-equipped with the Avro
CF-105 Arrow, but with the controversial cancellation of the Arrow the squadron was finally disbanded on May 31, 1961.

 

Motto: USQUE AD FINEM – "ALL THE WAY TO THE END"

 

428 Ghost squadron crests

428 Ghost squadron crests: Queen’s crown (post 1952)
and King’s crown (pre-1952)

 

Its Badge, in a shroud, a death's head. The badge refers to the Squadron "Ghost" designation earned through many hours of night bombing operations during wartime, and also the death and destruction which it carried to the enemy.

 

 

F/L Doug Williams (ObsAI), F/O Turbo Tarling F/O Ron Hammon (ObsAI), F/O Turbo Tarling  F/O Turbo Tarling & 428 Ghost Sqn CF-100 Mk5 at RCAF Station Uplands.

Ottawa, Ontario – 1958

 

F/L Doug Williams (ObsAI), F/O Turbo Tarling, 428 Sqn CF-100 Mk5 at RCAF Station Uplands.

Ottawa, Ontario – Summer 1959

 

F/O Ron Hammon (ObsAI), F/O Turbo Tarling and 428 Ghost Sqn CF-100 Mk5 #785 at RCAF Station Uplands, Ottawa, Ontario. Note: CF-100 #785 was retired in late 1981 and is now at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at Hamilton, Ontario

Ottawa, Ontario – Fall 1959


F/O Turbo Tarling & 428 Ghost Sqn CF-100 Mk5 at RCAF Station Uplands. 
Note the new “standard” RCAF squadron flash on the engine nacelle with the squadron emblem in the centre